The reel is among the most important parts of your fishing equipment. Without it, you won’t be able to adjust your line. You will unlikely catch a fish. Choosing the best fishing reels might seem challenging at first, but it’s easy once you have the right information.
In this article, we will have brief fishing reel reviews. an in-depth discussion on some of the types of fishing reels. Later on, you will know the top five picks for the best fishing reels. Along with their features, advantages, and disadvantages, we hope you make the right choice after reading this article.
Types of Fishing Reels
There are lots of available fishing reels available in the market right now. Some would be perfect for beginners and others would be perfect for more experienced fishing enthusiasts. In this section, we will discuss the different types of reels so you’ll know which one is right for you.
• Spincast Reel: It is perfect for beginners because its mechanics are very simple and easy to use. Using this reel requires only a little effort from the user. However, there’s a downside if you choose this one for fishing. The spool is shallow. It is made of cast metal or plastic, and not very durable since it’s very inexpensive.
• Spinning Reel: This is the most popular one on the market right now. Spinning reels are usually used by more experienced anglers since they have countless options to choose from. This reel is usually at the bottom of the rod, unlike the spincast reel, which is on top. They are also perfect for use in a wide variety of bodies of water and fishes.
• Baitcasting Reel: The baitcasting reel is the most advanced fishing reel on the market today. This is perfect if you are proficient with the other types and want to catch a larger fish. It is very strong and durable and the cast is more accurate than other reels. However, this might be difficult for you to operate when you control the release of the line using your thumb.
• Trolling Reel: The trolling reel is a lot like the baitcasting reel, except they are not used for casting. It is designed for catching bigger fishes such as lake trout and marlin.
Choosing the Best Fishing Reel
Choosing the best fishing reel that is the right fit for you may be a little challenging. You should take into consideration some of the following factors:
• Balance: You have to choose a reel that will not be in conflict with your rod’s balance. Some are heavy, especially the cheaper versions. What you have to do is bring your rod when you decide to buy a reel. With this, you can try the handle and make sure that it is the right fit for your rod.
• Gear Ratio: This refers to the number of revolutions that the spool can make at each turn of the reel. You should choose a reel with a high gear ratio. You will retrieve the lure quickly with this.
• Price: Expensive reels are guaranteed of using high-quality materials. They are also likely to have more sets of ball bearings. On the other hand, cheaper reels are made up of lower quality materials like brass or plastic. If you only fish occasionally, you might want to consider buying a cheaper reel. However, for longer lasting performance, you should buy the more expensive type.
Tips for Taking Care of your Fishing Reel
Before we discuss the five best fishing reels, we will first tackle how you can properly take care of them. Maintaining your fishing reel only takes a little knowledge and patience to keep them in its best shape. Here are some of the tips in taking care of your fishing reel:
• You should grasp the reel firmly while you are assembling and disassembling. Doing this will ensure that arranging everything will be easy and smooth.
• Arrange your equipment before starting to work. You are going to need screwdrivers, tweezers and a toothbrush.
• In order to clean your reel, you are going to need a container filled with hot water and a cleaning compound. Grease, reel oil, and lighter fluid may also be used.
• You should never use metal with metal. Doing this may damage the surfaces of your reel.
• Tweezers should be used when handling the spring and wire clips. Doing this will ensure that the wire clip and springs fit adequately.
• Before removing the spool, make sure you secured it by a masking tape first. Better yet, you can strip the line off completely.
• Lastly, instead of at the top, apply grease to the bottom teeth of your real. You can even use a toothbrush to apply a thin coating.
Reviews of the Top Picks for the Best Fishing Reels
If you are still unsure on what to pick, keep on reading. We will review some of the best options available in the market right now. We will discuss some of their features, as well as advantages and disadvantages. We hope that you can evaluate better after reading this section.
PENN Spinfisher V Spinning Reel
The Penn Spinfisher V Spinning Reel is a more advanced reel that has been added to the Spinfisher line. It features a rubber gasket, which prevents the line from slipping. There are line capacity rings that allow you to know how much line is left.
There is a heavy-duty aluminum bail wire that ensures added durability and strength. Another great feature of this reel is that it has infinite anti-reverse. In addition, this reel presents improved gear ratios.
• The bearing system is built with 5 shielded stainless steel
• You can anti-reverse as many times as you want
• Enhanced gear ratios
• A little heavy for a fishing reel
• Material is poor according to some users
Pflueger President Spinning Reel
If you want something that is proven to be long-lasting and durable, this might be perfect for you. The Pflueger President Spinning Reel has a graphite body, thus ensuring a sturdy base.
It is lightweight and features a stainless steel shaft and components. To add, this reel features titanium-coated spool lip for extra line protection. Like the previous reel, it also offers instant anti-reverse.
• Material is made of stainless steel
• Features instant anti-reverse
• A little expensive than other fishing reels
• Some users have experienced failures in anti-reversing
Penn Battle II Spinning Reel
The Penn Battle II Spinning Reel is one of the most attractive reels right now. It has a silky smooth drag and a durable design. Another great feature is that it has a full metal body that allows you to precisely align your gear.
There is a rubber gasket that prevents lines from slipping. It also has a line capacity ring that allows you to check if you have enough line left on your reel.
• Made from high-quality metal
• Ball bearing system is made from 5 sealed stainless steel
• Features line capacity rings
• Might require frequent maintenance as the reel is not water tight
• Knots can result from casts using kickback
KastKing Sharky II Carbon Fiber Spinning Reel, Brass Gears, Stainless Steel Components, 41.5 Lbs Max Drag
We all know that water inside the reel may cause damage to the internals. If you are looking for a waterproof reel, this might be the right choice for you. You can leave this reel under the water for up to three minutes.
Like the other reels mentioned above, the main shaft is made of stainless steel. This feature adds more precision and quality in terms of performance.
• Has waterproof seals
• Features ensure high quality and high precision
• Low cost
• Could limit live bait fishing
• You can’t go heavier than 30-pound monofilament if you go offshore
Kaigen 1000 Electric Reel with Warranty
If you are looking for an electric reel, this might be the best option for you. The Kaigen 1000 Electric Reel has the capacity and strength to catch almost any fish. It also offers 100-pound braided line capacity.
This reel has larger gear, motor, and drag washers. This is tantamount not only to durability, but it is also great for catching a large fish.
• Features jiggling function
• Has adjustable digital unit that allows you to set depth
• Made of aluminum frame
• More expensive
• A little heavier than most fishing reels
We have now discussed the important things you should know about fishing reels. You must evaluate carefully if you want a high performance and long-lasting reel. Take into consideration the factors that you should look for in a fishing reel. Make sure that the one you choose is compatible to your rod. We hope you are now able to make the right choice in choosing the best fishing reel.